What is the NamPower 1mLED Campaign?
The 1mLED Campaign is one of NamPower’s energy saving initiatives which is aimed at reducing electricity usage in the residential areas during peak times (6:00 am - 9:00am and 18:00pm - 21:00pm) by replacing one million incandescent bulbs with light emitting diode (LED) bulbs.
Why the 1mLED Campaign?
Demand for electricity in Namibia has increased drastically and has exceeded supply. The situation has prompted NamPower to implement various solutions to address the shortage of electricity of which the 1mLED Campaign is an initiative. The 1mLED Campaign is aimed at reducing electricity usage in residential areas during peak times. LED bulbs last longer and use far less electricity compared to other bulbs.
Benefits of LED bulbs
Energy efficiency: LED bulbs are the latest in the energy efficient technology and they use far less electricity to provide similar level of light.
Environmentally friendly: LED bulbs waste less energy and contain no hazardous substances.
Longer lifespan: LED bulbs have an average operational lifespan of 15 000 hours (which equates to 10 years or more provided that it burns for 4 hours a day) lasting much longer than the incandescent bulb.
Cost effectiveness: LED bulbs are more cost effective in the long run because they use less electricity and last longer
Electricity consumption comparison:
The power rating comparison of incandescent bulbs, with LED bulbs with the same light output, is shown below.
|Incandescent lamp rated power||LED rated power|
Important Information to Note
- Look out for the dates that the installation teams will be visiting your town/suburb. The installation schedule will be advertised in the local media (radio, television, newspapers, NamPower website & Facebook).
- Only grid connected residences will benefit from this campaign
- Allow only installers with valid identification into your house.
- Always verify authenticity of the LED installer by requesting for his/her campaign ID card and Namibian ID card
- Allow the installers to take the replaced incandescent bulbs that were replaced with LED bulbs
- Sign the installation form to verify that you have received the LED bulbs.
- If the new LED bulb fails prematurely within 3 years of installation, please take the defective bulb to an exchange point in your town/suburb and exchange it for a new bulb for free.
- A measurement and verification team will call you after the installation. Please be so kind and provide them with the information about the installation process.